The Best Mulching Blades : Buying Guide
If you’re looking to achieve the image of the perfect lawn, there is a lot of effort to be invested in that seemingly unattainable, but still achievable goal. Most people would suggest that having a sturdy lawn mower is the key, but that’s just one part of the grand, lawn mowing scheme. The real deal in the whole system is the blade of the mower – and what blade that the king of blades himself – the mulching blades.
This very effective type of mower blades benefits your lawn in many ways. Not only does it allow you go have a neater lawn, but it allows you to have a healthier lawn, too. How does it pull that off? Well, it cuts your grass in a special way, so that the small grass pieces decompose quickly in order to provide extra nutrients to the still growing grass. It’s basically shortening the grass in order to improve the existing grass – by using the same grass.
Okay, so now that we’ve covered the basic importance of this amazing invention, there comes the time to observe and conclude what are exactly the best mulching blade. Thankfully, our research and testing paid dividends, so we give you the best of the best, along with a plethora of useful advice. Enjoy!
The Use And Benefit Of Mulching Blades
Mulching blade for mower are easy to use and they only require a basic connection to the lawn mower itself. Although it isn’t a widely known fact, using the top mulching blades allows you to make easier and faster work of your lawn, all while making it very tidy and symmetric at the same time. Now, let’s dig a little bit deeper in order to conclude all the benefits of this awesome gardening accessory:
- Mulching blades have the ability to cut the grass in small clippings and sideways too. These small clippings have one big advantage – they decompose faster and they transport the valuable nutrients right back into the shortened grass.
- The decomposed grass disappears during a period of weeks which saves you a lot of time that is usually spent on cleaning up the clippings from the cut grass. As the grass slowly decomposes, the existing plants will get a slow, but regular drip of healthy food to absorb.
- Your grass will be healthier if you choose the very best mulching blades. No amount of the lawn will be wasted and with each cutting session, the grass will be healthier, bigger and stronger. A gardener’s dream, isn’t it?
- A curved style surface of the mower blades gives them unprecedented precision, which is the ultimate goal in the gardening world. Picking the best mulching blade for your lawn mower can turn out to be the difference between “good enough” and “perfect”.
- By using the two mower blades placed perpendicular to each other, you get a unique dual force of cutting agents. This leaves no strain standing and allows you to have a neat grass field.
- It’s important to note that the best mulching blades are usually made of high-grade material, which means they are sturdier and more resilient than your average lawn mower blade.
The Difference Between Standard Mulching Blade And Gator Blades
It’s important to know the benefits of your mulching blade, but it’s equally significant to have knowledge about the two different types and how they affect your garden environment and the look of your previous lawn.
Okay, so there are two key type of mulching blade:
- a) Standard mulching blade
- b) Gator blades
The difference? Standard mulching blade's implement a more orthodox way of cutting grass, whereas the gator ones come armed with angled teeth (resembling the jaws of a good ol’ Yellowstone gator). These angled teeth, combined with an angle of curvature can be a great addition to your lawn mowing arsenal. Combining these two is the real deal.
How To Choose The Finest Mulching Blade
Now that the enormous benefits have been brought to your attention, there comes a point where you become aware that there are tons of mulching blade on the market and that choosing the absolute perfect mulching blades can be a tedious and daunting task, to say the least.
The solution is just taking a look at these few key factors when shopping for mulching blade and placing yourself into the best possible situation to choose the ultimate product. Now, let’s cover the key factors to choosing the best mulching blade.
- It doesn’t really matter if you get the premium mulching blade in the world if the shape doesn’t fit your lawnmower. There are hundreds upon hundreds of different types and it can be a little confusing to round them all up accordingly. Make sure you know both the mower blades specifications and the type of the mower.
- You should be looking at a chance to buy a very durable model. Since the rotation and the functioning are a little bit more advanced than with regular mowing blades, the finest mulching blades are made out of the highest quality materials. Aim for the best of the best, just so you can use it for years to come.
- Think about the size of the blades. Do you want a faster and bigger set of cuts? Or you maybe intend to work with a slower set of smaller cuts on your lawn? The difference is only the preference of the customer, so it’s only up to you.
- Consider the angle of curvature, too. It plays a role in the efficiency and it relies on the type of grass and the shape of the lawn you have. The thicker the grass, the bigger the angle basically.
- Know how much money you are willing to spend? The best possible mulching blades is always on our wishlist, but sometimes our wallet doesn’t agree. Just because you don’t have an infinite fund at your disposal, doesn’t mean you can get the best mulching blades for the money you have. It’s all about strategy!
Things To Look Out For When Buying Mulching Blades For Mower
Your criteria for choosing the right mulching blades are already at a high level, but there is always that extra set of details that you should keep in mind when purchasing your ideal blade. There are always tricky parts out and about, so keeping an eye open for these little details can be of great help during the shopping process.
- You shouldn’t strive to buy the most expensive mulching blades, even if you have lots of money at your disposal. Aim for the best mix of quality and warranty length.
- Don’t believe the stories about a model and how good it is without being absolutely sure that your lawn mower can fit the blades and operate them accordingly. If you do the shopping over your local store, invite them to come so you can try out the blade – that’s the best bet to know you’ve made the right purchase.
- Avoid mixing the mulching blade with a high lift blade. That can create disaster within the machine and even injure you. Different types of lift are a dangerous thing and should not be mixed under any circumstances.
- Refuse to purchase from or even acknowledge manufacturers who don’t specify the type of slot their mulching blade fit. This is an absolute necessity when it comes to buying.
- Buy from a company that is good in supplying spare parts and which has a long tradition. Trust is everything, especially when intending to buy something that will withstand years of constant use.
The Five Top Mulching Blade: Best Reviews
Checkout Our Guide On How to Kill Dallisgrass
Now that you’ve gotten a hang of the whole mulching blade purchasing tradition and tricks, it’s time to lay out the results of our grueling journey to find the best mulching blade in existence. It has taken us through the deepest caverns of the Amazon review pages, through numerous warehouses and workshops, around the US.
We’ve been assisted by experts and amateurs alike, so this is truly the best of the best, the most prestigious five mulching blade for anyone with a passion for lawn mowing. Enjoy!
Maxpower are constantly in contention for the title of the best American gardening tools manufacturer. The quality they pride themselves in is evident in this very efficient blade that resulted in many improved lawns and regenerated fields of grass. Let’s what does this customer favorite blade contain and why is it deemed one of the best mulching blades on the market.
- Doubled thickness to battle weeds and other unwanted inhabitants of your average garden.
- Heaviness also makes the blades very immune to rocks and other debris that might damage some other blade.
- Carbide strengthened edges remove the need for regular sharpening and can be used out of the box.
- Two-year warranty, along with a good customer service right in the United States.
- Fast cutting time, saves valuable minutes and allows the mower to move swiftly.
- Excellent for mixed grass types.
- Domestically made and therefore much cheaper.
- Struggles with grass above 6 inches.
- Tends to disregard older lawnmowers and underperform on them.
Oregon is under the close watch of every professional in the game and it’s a common thing to hear an Oregon blade to be proclaimed the best mulching blade on the market. This triple threat is another heir to that title and it almost had the crown in this narrow battle. What makes this set special is difficult to explain, but we’ll give our best shot.
- We were eager to put this one to the test, so we tested it on almost every possible mower, only to discover the adaptability is high and that it didn’t fit only 2 out of 28 lawnmowers.
- Tungsten carbide is a new addition that strengthens the edges of the blades and reduces the loss of sharpness over time.
- Good curvature for immediate and constant results on the entire lawn.
- For a triple set, it’s very rare to see such a reasonable price.
- The mounting hole is very strong and the teeth never bend, not even under extreme pressure.
- Excellent with both domestic and tropical types of grass.
- Aside from the slow delivery time sometimes and the rare restocking on the Oregon website, these bad boys have no evident flaws whatsoever.
It almost seems like Oregon has their intention on completely dominating the best mulching blade list and who can blame them? With diverse gator blade models, they’ve shown creativity and signs of being able to dominate the market in years to come. What’s so special about this particular model? A lot, actually...
- Improved adaptability in comparison to older models.
- All carbide, armored steel or any other additions have been stripped and the thickness has been reduced for the ultimate decrease in weight.
- Due to the easy fit on all mowers, the decrease in noise is evident and it’s even easier on the nerves.
- Again, a set of three gives you a lot to work with and has a good replacement rotation.
- Sharpness can be seen and felt straight out of the box, no sharpening needed for some time.
- The distribution is very clever and are widely available, maybe the best-distributed mulching blade on the entire list.
- Improved vacuum effect for a tidier cutting experience and a more pleasant process.
- Slow delivery time for a domestic manufacturer.
- Although the vacuum effect does its job, the grass is sometimes sprayed too far, which can create a mess if you’re working on the edges of your lawn.
Stens may be an unknown company to novices, but experts have long had trust in this Australian tools and gardening parts giant. Although some newer companies have been on the scene more in recent years, Stens refuses to be left aside and graces us with one of the best mulching blades in recent history.
- Again, we see a large number of lawn mowers this model can be applied to, which is a big refreshment on the market.
- The alloy is made out of carbide and a special, industrial-grade kind of steel.
- A set of six is sold because the majority of customers find ordering replacements can be a bit of a hassle and a distraction.
- Fast shipping due to a good distribution around the country and in various parts of the world.
- A really economic price for a fairly large quantity of mulching blade.
- They do their job well both on regular grass and in higher and more exotic environments too.
- Excellent customer service and a well-enforced warranty system.
- Somewhat hard to clean in certain situations.
Finally, we turn to the winner and the chart topper of this list. Rotary are a well-established company and their efforts have finally been rewarded, as they managed to take home the crown and amaze their loyal customers. Yet another stellar blade leaves a little to be desired, so it’s a job well done.
- Titanium alloy alongside a bit of carbide make the light blade as strong as it is.
- Out of all the models on the list, this Rotary mulching blade has the best-differentiated teeth which lead to the best results.
- Six angle hole adaptable to the majority of past and present lawnmowers.
- Two-year warranty with replacements under any condition during that period.
- Excellent price-to-quality ratio.
- Sharpness and efficiency even when faced with bushes and thicker plants.
- Incredibly small pieces and a good decomposition rate.
- Some may see the heaviness as a flaw.
The Final Verdict – Which Mulching Blade To Buy
This verdict is an especially tough one, given the fact that the title of the perfect mulching blade for mower is not a one easily earned by a certain model. It was a real close call, so we are unfortunately forced to make a concrete conclusion. But, keep in mind that just being a part of this list is a sign of excellence and that the differences are very small and sometimes even unnoticeable to the novice.
Given the fact that all comes down to preference, we have to conclude that the Oregon models are the best for any simple garden with a big surface area, while the Rotary ones are especially good when it comes to diverse terrain with potential obstacles. Be how it may be, you will get the best mulching blade no matter the choice. Good luck with your lawn endeavors!